On October 26, 2017, IABC Waterloo welcomed social media guru Naheed Somji to speak with the local communications community about social media success.
Here are his top five keys to social media success:
- Provide value by helping not selling
- Be authentic to your brand and what your audience perceives as your brand
- Consider if it’s the right place, right time, and right message for your audience
- Align social with all of your communications efforts
- Create social experiences for your users with your content
In addition, Naheed explained that we should choose metrics that matter for your specific objectives. Know what the goal of each post is and measure accordingly:
- Trying to sell? Success can be tracked through clicks or the click-through rate (CTR).
- Looking to increase brand awareness? Metrics around impression or reach will be the more telling factor.
- Want to build a sense of community? Engagements will be the best metric to watch.
As a bonus, Naheed shared how he manages his social profiles in only 15 minutes a day (plus one hour of prep each week. His advice was to spend an hour on Sunday or Monday creating content and scheduling it to go live throughout the week. Then, spend 15 mins a day:
- Tracking what’s trending and happening in your audience/customers world – can you comment on it in an authentic way?
- Seeing where you’re mentioned and engaging in conversations where you think you can add value.
- Looking at your analytics to see what’s working, what’s not, what’s been retweeted, liked, etc. Change what isn’t working and create more of what is!
Thanks so much to Naheed for sharing all his social wisdom with us. You can connect with Naheed on Twitter at @naheedsomji.
Now that we’ve gotten social savvy, let’s get together IRL at the IABC Waterloo Mix & Mingle Holiday Social on December 14. This event is free to IABC Members and only $10 for non-members. We’ll have prizes for best dressed, so throw on your ugliest reindeer sweater and join us for some complimentary apps (there will also be a cash bar) at Abe Erb in Kitchener.